Sweetgrass Holiday Gingerbread House Competition
Sweetgrass Winery & Distillery in Union is hosting a Holiday Gingerbread House Competition and is seeking entrants; winning baker will receive $500
Union, Maine, November 2017 – Sweetgrass Winery & Distillery is hosting a Holiday Gingerbread House Competition and is seeking bakers to enter the competition; sign-up for the competition begins today through November 30, 2017. Gingerbread houses will be on display at Sweetgrass Winery & Distillery in Union for their annual Holiday Open House, Saturday and Sunday, December 9th and 10th, 11 am to 5 pm. Proceeds from the competition will go to the baking program at the Mid-Coast School of Technology. The public will have a chance to vote for their favorite. Gingerbread houses will be judged based on originality, overall appearance, choice and use of materials, and difficulty of design. Winner will be selected based on people’s choice in combination with industry professional critique. Rules for the competition are as follows:
- Individuals only, no groups
- Entry must be constructed within 30 days prior to competition
- Entry must be original - no gingerbread kits.
- Entry must have all MAJOR components, such as walls and roofs, constructed of gingerbread (no graham crackers, cookies, etc.).
- All components must be edible.
- Foil or plastic wrapped candies must be unwrapped; lollipops cannot have paper or plastic stems.
- NO perishable food items can be used in the making of an entry.
- Entries must be freestanding and attached to a plywood base measuring no larger than 24" L x 24" W.
- The plywood base must be completely concealed with an edible product; however, the sides of the base do not have to be concealed.
- Structure must be the dominant feature of the entry and be in a holiday theme.
- All entries must be delivered to Sweetgrass in completed form on Friday, December 8, 2017, 9 am to 5 pm.
- Judging will take place Dec 9th and 10th
- All entries will be judged on Originality, Overall Appearance, Choice and Use of Materials and Difficulty of Design.
- Winner will be selected based on people’s choice voting in combination with industry professional critique.
- Participants must register for the competition by November 30, 2017. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
There is no cost to enter or attend the event.